Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

How do I apply for admission to doctoral studies?

Applications for admission to doctoral studies are handled by the coordinators of each doctoral programme. You can submit your application online from the admission section, where you will find the contact details for the coordinators and administrative staff of each of the doctoral programmes.

What qualification do I need in order to start doctoral courses? 
To be eligible for a doctoral degree course a candidate must hold an official Spanish bachelor's degree (or equivalent) and a master's degree.

However, candidates in any of the following circumstances are also eligible:

  1. Individuals holding an official university degree from Spain or any other country in the European Higher Education Area that, in accordance with the provisions of Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October, qualifies holders for master's degree courses, provided they have also completed a minimum of 300 ECTS credits of official university coursework overall, of which at least 60 must be at the master's degree level.
  2. Individuals holding an official degree from Spain consisting of at least 300 ECTS credits, as required by European Union regulations. Individuals in this category are required to complete bridging courses unless the curriculum of the degree course in question included the same number of research training credits as would be required in a master's degree course.
  3. University graduates who, having passed the entrance examination for specialised medical training, have completed at least two years of a training course leading to an official degree in a health-sciences specialisation.
  4. Individuals holding a degree from a foreign education system. In these cases, homologation is not required, provided it can be shown that the university in question offers a level of training equivalent to that of the official Spanish master's degree and that, in the issuing country, individuals holding the degree in question are eligible for doctoral degree courses. Admission via this channel does not imply homologation of the degree in question, and the degree shall not be considered as recognised for any purpose other than eligibility for the doctoral degree course.
  5. Individuals holding a Spanish doctoral degree obtained under previous university regulations.

Note 1: Undergraduate degrees are not considered to be equivalent to master's degrees. Graduates must be able to prove they have 60 ECTS credits from a master's degree to gain admission to doctoral studies. (Office of the Assistant General Director for Academic Coordination and the Legal System of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, 13 February 2013)


Note 2: The academic committees for doctoral programmes require candidates to have passed a minimum of 15 ECTS credits for research-based subjects from a master's degree. Recognised credits will not be considered. (UPC Doctoral Studies Committee, 24 January 2013).

If I have a five-year degree, will I be able to apply for admission to doctoral studies governed by Royal Decree 99/2011?

No. You will need to prove you have at least 60 ECTS credits from a master’s degree. These credits can include recognised and transferred credits.

Can I be admitted to doctoral studies if I have a foreign qualification that has not been homologated?

Yes, provided that it has been legalised. If you are applying for an European Higher Education Area (EHEA) doctoral programme, the academic committee will verify that your qualification accredits a level of education equivalent to the corresponding official Spanish qualifications before admission can be granted. This verification is not required if you are in possession of a qualification issued in a country that forms part of the EHEA framework.

More information on legalisation

Where do I apply for homologation of my foreign qualification?

Homologation is issued by the corresponding government ministry:

Subdirección General de Títulos y Reconocimiento de Cualificaciones

Servicio de Homologación de Títulos Extranjeros Universitarios
Adreça: Paseo del Prado, 28. MADRID 28014
Tel: (+34) 91 506 56 00 - Fax: (+34) 91 420 35 35
Pàgina web:

Delegación de la Alta Inspección del Estado
(N.B.: only for submission of documents)
Carrer Bergara 12, 1r.
Tel.: (+34) 93 301 06 47
How do I legalise my documents?

The procedure for legalising foreign academic documents depends on the country in which they were issued and on the specific international agreements to which this country is a signatory.

Further information

Do my documents need to be translated?

Documents issued in a language that does not have official status in Spain must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. The translation must be issued by one of the following:

  • The Spanish embassy or consulate in the country of issue.
  • The embassy or consulate in Spain of the applicant’s country of origin or of the country in which the documents were issued.
  • A sworn translator registered in Spain.