Skip to content

Adaptation of doctoral studies carried out under previous regulatory frameworks

If I began my doctoral studies in Spain more than ten years ago (under the regulatory framework established in Royal Decree 778/1998) and withdrew part of the way through the course, can I be re-admitted under the new regulatory framework?

If you are applying for a doctoral programme regulated by Royal Decree 99/2011:

You may only request admission if you have already obtained research proficiency. You must apply for a place on the new programme via the e-admissions form.


Once you have been admitted, you must submit the completed request for adaptation of previous studies (see the forms section) to the unit in charge of the doctoral programme. There is no fee for this procedure.


The coordinator will decide whether you need to register the research plan. You must enrol for thesis tutorials each academic year. If the coordinator decides that you need to register and draw up the research plan, it must be done before the end of your first year.

When will the doctoral studies governed by Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29 October, be withdrawn?

All doctoral studies governed by Royal Decree 1393/2007 will have to be adapted to the provisions of Royal Decree 99/2011 before the start of the 2013-2014 academic year. They will then be definitively withdrawn before 30 September 2017.